Harold Lasswell’s model for mass communication describes the process of how information is processed through many mediums.
Mishra, S. (2017) states that “Lasswell’s communication model was developed by communication theorist Harold D. Lasswell (1902-1978) in 1948. Lasswell’s model of communication (also known as action model or linear model or one way model of communication) is regarded as one the most influential communication models.”
• Control analysis – the person or original source of the media is the one who ultimately coveys a message to the masses.
• Content analysis – content analysis is derived from what the person in “controlled analysis” says and the meaning of messages he conveys.
• Media analysis – is how the messges is broadcast through channels of a medium such as tv, newspaper , internet etc. to the masses.
• Audience analysis – is to whom the message is being spread to through the various mediums to, sometimes a specific group or areas within a community is the intended target of the set message.
• Effect analysis – is the effect that the message has on these specific groups or communities whether it be good or bad it will ultimately be the message the makes the outcome of the Lasswel Model of mass communication with the feedback and noise.
A good example of Lasswel’s Model would be in the presidential elections of 2016 where Trump D. (2016) stated “I will build a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me – and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”
Controlled Analysis – Donald Trump at a rally to gain voters support.
Content Analysis – The racial discrimination toward the people of Mexico in order to gain support from majority of racist supporters within his rally.
Media Analysis – The quote went “viral” in terms of social media , newspapers and TV broadcasts as people were outraged that one can say such openly cruel things in modern society.
Audience Analysis – White supremacist’s and pro Trump supporters were in for, for Trump literally building a wall but the rest of the American population hated Trump for his comment.
Effect Analysis – The Mexican communities in the US rebelled against Trump’s elections and burnt the posters and rioted.
Trump, D. (2016). President-elect Donald Trump’s ‘big, beautiful wall’ may end up just being a modest, double-layered fence. Daily news, [online] Available at: https://www.google.co.za/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/news/politics/donald-trump-big-beautiful-wall-fence-article-1.2867648 [Accessed 3 Sep. 2017].
Mishra, S. (2017). Lasswell’s Communication Model. Businesstopia, [online] Available at: https://www.businesstopia.net/communication/lasswell-communication-model [Accessed 3 Sep. 2017].
Figure 1 and figure 2: https://www.slideshare.net/EarlGuzman/lasswell-shannon-weaver